Teenage secondary school students are invited to apply for participation in the inaugural TechGirls program. This program will bring approximately 25 teenage girls between ages 15-17 from select countries in the Middle East and North Africa to the United States for a three- to five-week exchange program focused on promoting the high-level study of technology. Program activities will include hands-on classes, labs, individual or team-based project design and development, mentoring experiences, job shadowing, site visits to high tech companies in the United States, and opportunities for interaction with American peers.
The program will be intensive, academic, and highly interactive. The program sponsors seek energetic applicants who are interested in developing their leadership and technology skills in order to become future leaders and experts in the field of technology in their home countries.
Students who may apply are those who:
- are from one of the following eligible countries: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian territories, Tunisia, Yemen
- are between the ages of 15 and 17 as of June 1, 2013 (born after June 1, 1995, and before June 1, 1997);
- have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- intend to pursue higher education and careers in technology;
- have strong English language skills;
- are excited about learning;
- exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness; and
- will attend at least one more semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country.
- have a general knowledge/understanding of key technology-focused topics:
- Cloud computing
- Web design and development
- Software applications and programming
- Computer network systems
- Mobile communications technology and applications
- Online game design and programming
- 3D modeling
- Programming in C++ or Java
- Social networking
Please fill out the application in English as completely as possible. The information you provide on this application will provide the basis for selecting semi-finalists for this program. Answer the questions carefully and completely.
Please note that a Flight chaperone will be available to help escort the girls during the course of travel to the US.
Applications are ONLY accepted via emails to PASSanaa@state.gov
The deadline for applications is Monday March 04, 2013
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.