Possible Derivative Claim to US Citizenship
Applicants over the age of 18, born outside the United States to one or both United States citizen parent(s), may have a derivative claim to US citizenship. Applicants under the age of 18 should refer to the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
If your parent(s) have previously registered you as a United States citizen after your birth, one of the following documents would have been issued to you, and is evidence of your US citizenship.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form FS-240);
- Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545 or DS-1350);
- Certificate of Citizenship;
- Your name had been included on your US citizen parent's passport before 1981.
If you believe one of the first three may have been issued to you, but are unable to locate it, you must obtain a certified copy from the Department of State or the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (UCSIS) before you can apply for a US Passport.
Completing the application
Please type the application form or print legibly in black ink.
In order to determine whether or not the US citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to the transmission requirements. If you believe the transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following in person at the US Embassy in Sanaa:
- Completed (but not signed) passport application (Form DS-11 (PDF_1MB));
- Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF_165KB), completed by the US citizen parent;
- Applicant's birth certificate plus translation;
- US citizen parent(s)' evidence of US citizenship (US passport or naturalization certificate);
- Parents' registered marriage certificate (if applicable);
- Evidence of termination of parents previous marriage(s) (if applicable);
- US citizen parent's documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child's birth. Such evidence may include (but is not limited to) academic transcripts, employment records, periods of honorable US military service records, or wage and tax statements (W-2)'s;
- Applicant's evidence of identity;
- Two (2) US sized passport photographs.
- If applicable - Original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable);
- Applicable fee;
- Click on the link below to make an appointment to submit your application at the US Embassy in Sanaa.
*SPECIAL NOTICE: You are required to bring photocopies of all documents submitted (excluding the application forms); if you do not bring photocopies, you may be charged a photocopying fee of USD$1 per page according to the consular fee schedule*